If you are setting out to look for a remote job these are some of the things you may need to be successful in your remote job search. Some are tangibles like a computer system while others are intangibles like the skills you need to have.
So what are the things you need to get a remote job?
Below we have made a detailed list of the various things we believe you should have in place to increase your chances of landing a remote job
Remember, you can find daily remote job openings on Remote4Africa.
- Reliable internet connection: A stable and fast internet connection is essential for remote work as it will allow you to search for jobs, apply, attend interviews and eventually work well with your colleagues/team (communicate with your team, access cloud-based applications, and share files) when you get the job.
- Computer/laptop: You will need a reliable computer or laptop that can to effectively apply for remote jobs, attend interviews via any online meeting application etc. It's a given that your computer/laptop should have a webcam. Plus most remote employers will expect you to have your own computer to work with. Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements specified by the employer.
- Headset and microphone: A good quality headset and microphone will allow you to communicate with interviewers and then with your team (when you secure a job) via video and audio calls.
- Collaboration tools: You will need access to collaboration tools such as project management software, communication tools, and cloud-based storage platforms to effectively do any interview related tasks and work efficiently with your team.
- Home office or remote work setup: Even while still searching for a remote job it is helpful to have set up a comfortable and dedicated workspace at home or at least have a conducive workspace/hub where you can take your interviews with little or no distraction, a desk, chair, and appropriate lighting.
- Relevant skills and qualifications: Make sure you have the necessary skills and qualifications required for the remote job(s) you are applying for. You should make a list of the common skills and qualifications requested by employers for the type of role you are applying for. Ensure you have more than half of these requirements.
- Strong communication skills: Good communication skills are essential for remote work (both before and during the remote work). Make sure you can communicate effectively through email, instant messaging, and video conferencing.
- Professionalism: Working remotely requires a high level of professionalism, self-motivation, and responsibility. You will have to demonstrate that you can manage your time and workload effectively, and maintain a positive and respectful attitude towards your colleagues and employer.
- Presentation/Branding: How you present yourself matters during your remote job search. Start with preparing a professional CV/resume that sells you to the employer.
- Information: It is very important you have access to information on remote job vacancies that you may qualify for. One way to do that is to sign up for email updates on a reputable remote jobsite.
These are just some of the things you may need to get a remote job. We hope you find these useful as you search for your first or next remote job.