Many people think a job interview is for the interviewer to ask questions while you (the jobseeker) answers. Well, that is the major part of an interview.
However, also important in making your impressions on the interviewer, the questions you ask them matter.
Want to start getting remote job interview invites? Join Remote4Africa, get updates on remote jobs you qualify for
If you are one of those who decline when given the chance to ask your interviewer some questions, maybe that's not a very good idea.
Asking your prospective employer some questions show you are interested enough in getting to know more about them. Asking them smart questions even help your cause further.
Instead of asking the questions just for the sake of it you should ask smart, impressive questions.
Look through the interview questions below for ideas on what to ask the next time you are up for an interview (whether a remote or face to face one).
Questions that show the interviewer you are interested in knowing more about the company
- Can you tell me more about the company and the industry it operates in?
- Can you describe the team dynamic and work culture at the company?
- What are some of the biggest challenges facing the company right now, and how does this position fit into addressing those challenges?
- Can you tell me more about the company's mission and values, and how they inform the work that you do?
- What opportunities are there for growth and development within the company?
- How does the company measure success, and how will my success be measured in this role?
- Can you tell me about some recent projects or initiatives the company has undertaken, and how this role might be involved in those projects?
Questions that show you are keen to learn more about the position/role and how you can excel in it
- What are the responsibilities and expectations for this position?
- What qualities or skills do you think are essential for success in this role?
You can ask role specific questions to gain more clarity on what the organisation expects for the position you are interviewing for. Some of the role specific questions you can ask include;
For sales role
- Can you tell me about the company's sales process and how I would fit into it?
- What do you think are the most important skills for success in this sales role?
- How do you measure success for sales team members?
For marketing role
- Can you describe the company's target audience and how the marketing team reaches them?
- How does the company stay up to date with changes in the marketing landscape?
- Can you tell me about a recent successful marketing campaign and how it was executed?
For technical role
- What are the most common technologies or programming languages used within the company?
- Can you describe the development process and how teams work together to complete projects?
- Can you give me an example of a particularly challenging technical problem the company faced and how it was solved?
For management role
- Can you tell me about the company culture and what kind of management style is expected?
- What are the key performance indicators (KPIs) for the team that I would be managing?
- How does the company handle conflict resolution among team members?
For customer support role
- Can you describe the company's customer service philosophy?
- How does the company handle escalations or difficult customer interactions?
- How is customer feedback collected and utilized to improve service quality?
These are some of the questions you can choose to ask your interviewers in your next interview to make on a good impression.
Want to get more interview invites for remote or flexible job roles? Join thousands of Africans on Remote4africa accessing the best remote opportunities.